Saturday 27 February 2010

Focal lengths: Focal lengths

I was asked to look at the way focal lengths record the angel of view in a picture. I have a zoom lens on my camera that ranges from 18mm (wide angle lens) to 55mm (telephoto lens). I took two shots of a scene stood in the exact same spot with my longest and shortest lengths with my lens.

DSC_0039

DSC_0040

Notice that the relationship between the objects in the scene does not change, they just appear much larger in the 55mm shot. The 18mm shot has a much great angel of view, including a lot of the sky and the surrounding grave yard, where as the 55mm photo contains only a small portion of the same scene, and decreases the depth of field. Using a longer focal length does make the object appear larger and closer, but this is not the same as moving closer to it, which would ultimately change how the subject is perceived, as the angle of view is no longer the same. I think next I will be exploring how the focal length can change the relationship of its subjects in comparison with its angle of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment