Monday 8 February 2010

Focus: Focus at different apertures


This was just a short exercise to explain how aperture works and affects an image.

In this first shot the aperture was set at f5.6 and I have circled in red the portion of the picture that is mainly in focus. (Please click the images to enlarge them)

At f5.6 only the mid point, the part I was focusing on, is sharp in focus. Anything in the back or foreground becomes slightly blurred depnding on its depth of field.
In this next image I used a smaller aperture of f14, which was about the mid point in the range of apeture my camera provides. Again I have marked in red the area of ths hot which is most in fous. As the aperture has become smaller, the depth of field that is in focus has become wider, leaving only the very front and back of the image slightly out of focus.

Lastly I took one more shot with the aperture on my camera set at its smallest, f36. As you can see the entire image becomes sharp and all depths of field are included. From this exercise I can see that aperture is important in deciding what is in focus within your image. This would therefore mean a small aperture will let you see details at all depths clearly, useful for capturing scenes and landscapes, and a much larger aperture will decrease the depth of field so that you can increase how much attention is given to your main focal subject, dependant on how much you would like it to stand out from its background.

No comments:

Post a Comment