Friday 22 October 2010

Light Metering

It’s been quiet on here for a while, due to my holiday and also that the light has been fading quickly so I don’t have any chance to take photos before I’m finished with work. Also I’ve been very very confused with light metering. Some of my next exercises have asked me to take readings and I just didn’t get how or what they meant. Tonight I finally cracked it! By choosing spot metering or centre weighted, then aiming the camera at the lightest, darkest and mid tone areas of the frame I could see on the camera how over or under exposed the image would be with my intended aperture and speed settings. There is a little bar on my camera which tells me how the exposure is going to work out, and that I’m best taking readings from the mid tones so that I don’t loose detail in shadows, and so highlights are not too bright. So by checking this bar when aiming the camera at the different tonal areas, I can then adjust my shutter speed and aperture accordingly till the bar is balanced in the middle which means the camera thinks the exposure is about right for the lighting conditions.

I’m so glad I finally get this! I can now actually get some more work done!

No comments:

Post a Comment